Another week, another Newsjack submission.
I’m chatting with some of the guys from the last comedy course I did and sharing my writings with them. I’ve been doing it to help encourage them to write and show them what I’m writing.
Here are my submissions this week.
- A police detective faces the sack after farting in front of colleagues. She denies the accusation saying, “It’s a load of old guff”.
- Housebuilders Persimmon’s annual profit has topped £1billion. Or £800million if you pay cash and we ignore the VAT.
- Lewis Hamilton is on Day 5 of the F1 testing. Soon he hopes to test the other function keys
I thought these were quite fun. My comedy-writing group chums felt that the F1 joke was a good one. My concern was I’m certainly not the first person to do an ‘F1/F1’ joke but I thought I’d give it a go for Newsjack. The housebuilder one was a bit lazy but I liked the headline it was from .
The fart joke – there had to be one. Finding that news article was a godsend. I liked the joke.
No-gotiating – Presenting the same deal back to the EU and asking them for more concessions knowing that they will refuse.
a Cheeky Nandos – a photo opportunity to pretend that you and your new friends are just like normal members of the public.
Katie Price – The financial cost of drink driving.
I really liked the ‘No-gotiating’. The rest were a bit rushed as I struggle with these.
GOOD WEEK/BAD WEEK:
- Its been a bad week for The Independent Group as people analyse the group dinner they had in a Nandos.
But it’s been a good week for Ed Milliband as everyone has now forgotten about his bacon sandwich face.
- Its been a bad week for Kepa Arrizabalaga who refused to be substituted in the Cup Final.
Its a good week for me at work as I’m about to try refusing anything my boss asks me to do. Wish me luck!
- Its been a bad week for black cab drivers as they lose their court battle to cancel Uber’s licence in London.
But it’s been a good week for Prius car salesmen, phone-mount manufacturers and people who make plastic seat covers.
Struggled with the good week/bad week as well. The Uber joke – I had the link to the black cab drivers but couldn’t think of the opposite to make it a joke. What I ended up with was rushed and didn’t feel right.
What am I doing making a joke about Kepa Arrizabalaga? I know nothing about football. I liked the concept for this joke but, once again, I didn’t feel it ended correctly.